Thursday 19 May 2011

All in a day's ramblings

Yesterday, I voted. Yay for me, boo for everyone who didn't. Lets hope next time you will make more of an effort.

I noticed a strange trend yesterday on Facebook - alot of people were saying how they won't vote because of ridiculous reasons such as "those who vote are playing the game, and therefore have to abide by the rules, whereas those of us who don't are exercising our rights bla bla bla." Basically they were insinuating that by not voting, they were above those who did. Other excuses were that no party was perfect, so why should they vote? Well, excuse me stupid person, are you perfect? Thought not. Nobody is, and as we are only four elections down after apartheid ended, I'm pretty damn impressed with the parties and their manifesto's. You should read them, maybe you'd find something you believe in enough to vote for.

I don't know why people think its cool to be indifferent about voting. Its not. Getting involved in the choosing of our future is cool. Our generation can't see past the end of our noses. Maybe because we've never had to fight for something or stand up and make a difference in this world. We've never lived through anything like war or apartheid, and life is peachy. The biggest decisions we struggle with are which varsity to choose, and which alcohol leaves you with less of a hangover. In our world, spontaneity and the "right now" rule - we don't have the foresight to think about our future and how to protect it (hello global warming, running out of fossil fuel and extinction). And that is really sad.

So to everybody that had the foresight to plan to register to vote, and to anybody who stood in queues for hours just to make their mark. To anybody who thinks about their future, congratulations.

And to the stupid person (and to every stupid person in everyone's lives, I'm sure you all know one). You probably didn't even realise I de-friended you (hard to notice anything else when your life consists of seeking out every reflective surface in sight) but my GOSH you are annoying, self-centred, arrogant and just plain fucking dumb. You with your designer clothes and your persistent pout. You are not original and you are not special. You are nothing more than a thief. You covet originality, and you want so badly to be cool that you steal other peoples opinions and mannerisms and surround yourself with them like little trophies.

Nothing more than a bad imitation of someone elses originality. How sad. OK, rant over. Hmm, I think from now on my blog shall be known as Doctor Blog. It's that therapeutic :)

Have a lovely Thursday bloggees :) OH and I almost forgot - 11 followers (that I forced to follow me) and almost 300 views in less than a week - now that is epic :) I don't even have 300 friends, so that must mean some random folk have seen this. Hopefully they found it a pleasant experience and are not at this moment preparing me a mail bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment