Monday 16 May 2011

Don't vote, don't complain!

I am a girl who feels quite comfortable on my high horse. In fact, I own several high horses, a few gift horses (don't look them in the eye - or the mouth), and one dark horse. Right now, i am precariously perched on one of my favourite high horses - her name is Politics. And I'm chomping at the bit to get my point across (see what I did there?).

As we all (should) know, Voting day is this Wednesay, 18 May. And while I have planned the entire day around the voting process (is it illegal to bake cookies with Helen's face on them and hand them to voters in the queue?), 90% of the people i know are more excited about the fact that its a public holiday and therefore they can get drunk on Tuesday night, than the fact that we all have an equal chance to participate in the future of South Africa. In fact, most people I know are not voting. Their excuses range from "I'm not registered here" to "I lost my ID" to "I don't know who to vote for." Um, excuse me? Well, maybe you should find out. I find it extremely interesting that every one of these people has expressed concern over the government and the way our country is run, yet none of them are willing to put in a bit of effort so that they can participate in this important event.

I think its lovely that the government gave us a public holiday to vote - but i think that it should have been a holiday ONLY for voters. If you don't vote, you go to work. Simple as that. That would have encouraged so many more people to get their acts together. Also, I kinda wish magic existed. Then I could cast a spell on people, and if they didn't vote they would be incapable of complaining about the government, service delivery etc. Harry Potter for Politics. Love it.


So, who is voting? Who is too lazy to vote? I for one will be at the voters booth early in the morning. I'm excited to vote! And while we're at it - yes I'm voting for DA. I don't like cANCer.

Your vote is your voice. Be heard! I can only assume that the people who didn't vote, are this type:






Too cool to learn basic spelling, apparently. Moron.

Also, have a look at this article here, posted on TimesLive on 9 May. The article is entitled "DA delivers, ANC gets vote." Its so sad that this is the mentality of our fellow South Africans. Surely you would vote for the people who would make the difference, not for those who blackmail you with threats of going to hell and ancestral hauntings if you don't support them?

No comments:

Post a Comment